Friday, April 15, 2005

Singlish. Heard of the term "Blur"?

Well its only been 20mins since I started my blog and already I have come across a funny instance.Singaporeans have this term called "Blur". I guess "Blur" is defined as being stupid, or doing something out of the ordinary without knowing. You might use the term when referring to somebody about something. eg "Bob is so blur when it comes to ordering drinks". Meaning - Bob has absolutely no idea about which drinks most people enjoy ordering.

Anyway, back on topic.

I got into the office this morning and one of the girls was fussing around with a Projector. Apparently it wasn't working - the words appearing on the screen were all fuzzy. She proceeded to get help from other collegues, and called the IT Helpdesk - to know avail. By this time I'm starting to feel sorry for the poor thing. So I pull myself away from my desk to check out the situation. Turns out that the problem is solved by Mr Aussie himself in a nanosecond. She hadn't adjusted the "Focus", but was only playing with the "Zoom" function. Hence the presentation was appearing fuzzy. Well, there we go, for the record Blur Incident #1 goes down in the books.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussieinsingapore said...

Garry can you please add something constructive to this discussion?

Anonymous said...

Mate,
I'm also an expat in Singapore, and would like to hear more about your experiences.
Maybe you can say something about the "Kiasu" culture here.
My colleagues who are Singaporeans/Singaporean residents were just saying the other day that they felt Perth, Australia is a suburb of Singapore, or maybe Singapore is a suburb of Perth, since there are so many Singaporeans in Perth! What do you think? Maybe that can be your other topic too...BTW, they were being facetious about the Perth-Singapore connection.

Aussieinsingapore said...

Thanks Shaz. Well yes thanks for the suggestion - I will examine this whole concept of Kiasu - I hear this word a lot here, and I think it encapsulates many verbs from the western world into one word...stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon, refer to "Notes from a Small Island" and "Notes from an Even Smaller Island" by this funny Brit (cant remember his name now!) for more notes. They're hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Neil Humphrey... Author of notes from a small island ( Or is it scribbles from a small island? ) It is funny!

From a Singaporean :)

Aussieinsingapore said...

Thanks Liv! I'll check it out!